Friday 19 February 2016

Cross Cultural Communication by Pellegrino Riccardi: A Short Review

Pellegrino Riccardi has three cultures inside of him; which are Italian, British, and Norwegian. He talked about how cultures are so different from one another and how they are special in their own way.

From the beginning of the video, I was entertained. The video is very interesting and witty at the same time. Riccardi mentioned that people took him seriously when he spoke with a British accent. However, it is not the same when he spoke with an Italian accent. To be honest, I didn't know that your accent can determine how you are perceived and treated.

Riccardi mentioned that there are differences in the rules when it comes to the culture of how people treat each other. For example, in Norway, everyone is treated equally with no regards to gender or social status.

The queuing system was what I find especially interesting.  In the UK, people queue in a straight line whilst in France, the shape of the line is different every day. India took the win when it comes to queuing as they place their shoes in a line and go sit somewhere else whilst waiting. So really, their shoes are doing all the work.

Another thing he mentioned was regarding how they drive. Norwegians are very by-the-rules kind of people. They abide by the rules and stay in their lanes. For the French, the road is a bit hectic, but in India, you could not even see the lines on the road. I have been to both France and India, and I agree 100%. I will never attempt to drive in those two countries.

Apparently, the Italians and Brits talk a lot. They just love to talk and are usually the beat around the bush kind of people. However, the Norwegians don’t prefer to talk much and are generally the straight to the point type of people.

At the end of the video, Riccardi mentioned how we should see the beauty and the good in all cultures. We should take the good in every culture and accept them.

I personally love the video. It is entertaining but at the same time, I got the message. I knew that each culture is different, but I never knew that even the smallest thing such as the queuing system would be different. I became more curious and wanted to know more about different cultures and how people of those cultures live their day to day lives. It also makes me want to experience those cultures on my own and for me, that means that what Riccardi said touched my heart and I’m sure most would agree with me.


I think you should all watch the video for yourself and I hope you will find it to be both informative and funny at the same time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment