Sunday 20 March 2016

Verbal Communication

Hi! I'm Belle and I will be talking about verbal communication. Of course, it will be quite long and boring for me to explain it all to you. So, I'm going to show you this short and simple video presentation that I made. Hope that you'll be able to understand it :)

So let's get to it!

gif credit to tumblr



Hope that my notes would be able to help you. I do, however, want to highlight about high context and low context communication.

To put it simply, the people that practice low context communication are those who are straight to the point. For example, if you're in a meeting, the meeting will begin right away without any interruptions or useless small chats. Some of the countries that practice low context communication is USA and Israel.

Meanwhile, for those that practice high context communication, they tend to beat around the bush and use a lot of gestures. For example, in a meeting, they will start eating and make small talk before officially starting the meeting. Malaysia and Japan are two among many countries that practice high context communication. Generally, as Malaysians,  take our time when talking and we are not usually straightforward. There is a term called "berkias" which is what we do instead of flat out saying what we want to say.



3 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum Belle,
    Gee, when you said how we Malaysians like to beat around the bush instead of being straightforward, I automatically remembered that time when we went to the phone repair shop to get my phone fixed.
    Instead of telling the guy, there’s something wrong with my battery, I went on a full length essay story of how I went to his shop a week ago, don’t know if my warranty still works, I don’t overcharge my phone yadayada but not once did I mentioned about the battery! Hahaha
    And when you scolded me, I just replied I like to talk.
    Guess now I can use ‘high-context culture’ as my excuse next time I beat around the bush :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamualaikum, Belle .I think why Malaysians like to make things longer than it is , is basically related to politeness. Maybe , including me myself , don't know the limits to politeness. We tend to care about the feelings of others that our needs is not fulfilled. Well, there's pros and cons to politeness I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum, Belle .I think why Malaysians like to make things longer than it is , is basically related to politeness. Maybe , including me myself , don't know the limits to politeness. We tend to care about the feelings of others that our needs is not fulfilled. Well, there's pros and cons to politeness I guess.

    ReplyDelete