Thursday 10 March 2016

Stereotype vs. Discrimination vs. Prejudice Part 2

Belle's Story

Now, it's my turn!

Okay, you know the Britney Spears' song? I'm not a girl, not yet a woman? Well, that's me; somewhere in between a girl and a woman. I don't know about other countries, but here in Malaysia, women are stereotyped as bad drivers. Now, I wouldn't say that it is completely wrong, (because trust me I had had my fair shares of dealing with bad female drivers) but, it is not completely accurate either. 

Unfortunately, since I am a female, people tend to see me as a bad driver. Usually, I give people (usually guys) a ride, they would underestimate my driving skill by telling me go to slow, to stay on the left lane, to not overtake cars, and basically always ordering me to be "careful". I find it to be irritating and sometimes, I just want to give them a good ol' smack to the head. 


But after they've experienced my driving skills, they take back what they said. Some of my guy friends actually said that I am a good driver and they trust me with their life. They said that most girls are usually scared and they often tend to panic, but not me. Some of my female friends said that I drive like a man. You might ask why. Well, because I drive fast and I don't hesitate. I also tend to yell at people when they suck at driving even if they can't hear me. I also honk a lot mostly to cars that want to change lanes without signals. I am not proud of that, but in my defense, if I don't honk, we would end up with getting into an accident so I'm basically saving my life and the other driver's. I personally do not like stereotypes, but I get it and I know that even without realising it, we always stereotype people.

So, that is all for my stereotype story. What kind of stereotype have you dealt with personally?

0 comments:

Post a Comment